Thursday, May 8, 2008

Thailand recap: Koh Samui

As I may have said before, I'm not really a city girl. So I was quite happy to escape the hustle and bustle of Bangkok and head to the island of Koh Samui.

First stop? Monkey school! Part entertainment, part training, these cute primates put on a fun little show. The monkeys are trained to harvest coconuts from the trees, so the trainers put them through the paces to show off those skills as well as a few other, well, less useful skills.







This little fella took a liking to me (and yes, that's banana smeared all over my arm)


An hour speedboat ride from Koh Samui is the Ang Thong Marine National Park. We spent the morning there and one of the things we say was this cool rock that looks like a monkey praying.



We also climbed this super steep maze of stairs on Mae Ko Island in Ang Thong for a fantastic view of Thale Nai (or Lake in the Mountain). That's Jennifer, the editor of Destination I Do Magazine below.





Our hotel was the Six Senses Hideaway, where the weather men have it easy.



If it wasn't for the fact that the mosquitoes found me particularly tasty, I would have never wanted to leave.








We visited the Big Buddha. You can make a small donation to the monks and sign your name to a brick which will be used to build a temple there.









Seafood is so much better when it's grilled fresh. Though I feared for the poor chef's eyebrows!



And finally, an elephant ride. Just because it's cool. The mahout (the person who drives the elephant) sang in Thai the whole time and fashioned me a cute little ring out of a palm frond.

1 comment:

Dianne Smith, Makeup Artist said...

OMG I would love to do go there...such a luch girl!