Friday, November 30, 2007

Friday favorites: Christmas

Today marks the start of a new blog series - Friday faves! Call it a self-indulgent brain dump if you will, but I love reading other people's blogs and finding new "things", whether it be a product, a band, a book... or a really expensive camera lens to lust after. You get the idea!

And since tomorrow is the first day of December, what better topic to start with than Christmas!

Hear
How can you go wrong with Mannheim Steamroller? It's Christmas music that's guaranteed not to grate on my nerves by December 24.

Smell
With all my allergies, I'm pretty sensitive to smells and for the most part, avoid things like perfumes and scented lotions. But when I do indulge, I prefer food smells over flowery ones. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Philosophy's The Gingerbread Man!

Watch
How can you not get nostalgic over A Charlie Brown Christmas? Without fail it's my absolute favorite holiday show.

Though, since we've been married, my husband and I have started the tradition of watching A Christmas Story on Christmas night once we get home from visiting the relatives. Fortunately TNT indulges freaks like us and airs it for 24 continuous hours starting on Christmas Eve!

Watch it, or you'll shoot your eye out, kid.


Taste
Best. Cookies. Ever. At least that's what my husband tells me (and believe me, he'd tell me if he didn't like 'em!) This oatmeal cookie recipe is a favorite in our house and it's so simple that even you non-bakers out there can whip up a batch!

3 cups of butter, softened
3 cups packed brown sugar (I used an equal mix of light and dark)
3 cups of flour
1 tablespoon of baking soda
6 cups of quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup of sugar

Cream the butter and brown sugar. In a separate bowl mix all the other ingredients except the oatmeal. Mix the dry ingredients into the butter/sugar mixture then slowly incorporate the oatmeal (it gets thick and sticky!). Roll into 1 1/2 inch balls and flatten on the cookie sheet with the bottom of a glass. Bake for 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees.

Those are my Christmas faves. Drop off a comment and tell me some of yours!

2 comments:

Nicholaus Haskins said...

Seriously, that was THE best movie ever....I watch it every year too!

All I want is s an official Red Ryder carbine action 200 shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock in this thing that tells time!

Deb said...

The Gingerbread Lotion looks great. I'm pretty sensitive about scents as well. I'll have to check this one out.